“If you want to build your business and at the same time have a rewarding personal life, you call a coach.” – Denver Post
DiSC® is the leading personal assessment tool used by more than 40 million people to improve work productivity, teamwork and communication.
DiSC is a personal assessment tool used to improve work productivity, teamwork and communication. DiSC is non-judgmental and helps people discuss their behavioral differences. If you participate in a DiSC program, you’ll be asked to complete a series of questions that produce a detailed report about your personality and behavior.
DiSC profiles help you and your team:
- Increase your self-knowledge: how you respond to conflict, what motivates you, what causes you stress and how you solve problems
- Learn how to adapt your own style to get along better with others
- Foster constructive and creative group interactions
- Facilitate better teamwork and minimize team conflict
- Develop stronger sales skills by identifying and responding to customer styles
- Manage more effectively by understanding the dispositions and priorities of employees and team members
What do the letters mean?
Emphasis on shaping the environment by overcoming opposition to accomplish results
Emphasis on shaping the environment by influencing or persuading others
Emphasis on cooperating with others within existing circumstances to carry out the task
Emphasis on working conscientiously within existing circumstances to ensure quality and accuracy
How DISC is used.
Whether you’re working with a Fortune 500 company, a small non-profit, a government agency, an educational institution, a church or even coaching an individual, you’ll find DiSC an easy-to-understand and effective tool to:
- Build productive teams
- Develop effective managers, supervisors, leaders
- Train a powerful sales force
- Improve customer service
- Ease frustrations and interpersonal conflict
- Enhance communication
- Help with change and conflict management
- Improve personal diversity awareness and recognition
- Improve productivity
- Assist in hiring, recruiting, placement, promotion, outsourcing
- Enhance the counseling or coaching experience
How DISC Profiles Work.
- DiSC® profiles are simple to use for both the administrator and the respondent. No certification is needed to deliver or score the test. The profile is electronically scored for people who take the test online. For paper tests, a simple self-scoring mechanism is provided.
- When you receive a DiSC profile test or an access code for an online test, you answer a simple questionnaire about your own behavior. These might be forced choice – this word describes me most, this one describes me least – or rating scale – I strongly agree, agree, am neutral, etc. that this term describes me. You are regarded as the expert on yourself. There are no right or wrong answers.
- Scoring is done electronically or by hand, depending on the profile you choose. This will produce a profile report. You’ll be able to read about your unique behavioral style, your tendencies, needs, preferred environment and strategies for effective behavior. You’ll learn more about your strengths and weaknesses.
- Each profile report also includes information about other DiSC styles so you’ll learn more about others as well. Facilitators might use Group Reports or other available reports to provide a greater understanding of your team, group, clients or colleagues.
- If you’re taking a DiSC test during a hiring or promotion process, you can use the insights gained to talk more concretely about your own strengths during an interview. You can use it to determine the best approaches for working with a new manager or new team.
What does DiSC measure?
- DiSC measures your personality and behavioral style. It does not measure intelligence, aptitude, mental health or values. DiSC profiles describe human behavior in various situations, for example how you respond to challenges, how you influence others, your preferred pace and how you respond to rules and procedures.
- The DiSC model discusses four reference points:
- direct, strong-willed and forceful
- sociable, talkative and lively
- gentle, accommodating and soft-hearted
- private, analytical and logical
- Eight scales are used to more accurately provide personalized feedback in the Everything DiSC product family. Profiles created for specific uses, such as Everything DiSC Management or Everything DiSC Sales, map behavioral traits within a more focused environment.
Personality assessments in psychology.
- Psychologists have been measuring personality traits since the 1930s. Since that time they have strived to better understand personality and to create a way of measuring it. They have become more aware of the complexity of interactive forces that are responsible for any one behavior.
- DiSC assessments differ in method and purpose from instruments used in clinical settings to determine the emotional health of individuals. DiSC is used to help people understand themselves and others in the range of normal human behavior.
- Most personality psychologists believe that traits and situations are interactive. This is one reason why DiSC can be so helpful – you can learn to adapt your own responses depending on the DiSC style of the person you’re speaking with or your situation. So as a manager, you might choose not to use the behavior you’re most comfortable with, but instead use one you know will be more effective with your entire team.